Ruth Baillie is a fellow bird lover and artist over at Birdland Creations, who conceived the idea of a "Bird a Week" challenge. Bird fanatic that I am, how could I resist?
For my first entry, I finished another page in my Bird Journal. This one is titled Branch.
For those jumping anew into my Bird Journal entries, the process I use is as follows (see photos and details of the sequence here):
- I constructed the small 6"x6" journal from blank watercolor paper.
- Color was randomly applied to every page, using washes of acrylic paint.
- Using white ink or paint, I swirled in the scrollwork in the background.
- I printed out photos of various species of birds from a Google image search, which were then trimmed and pasted in.
- From my collection of bird themed quotes, I chose one to fit the page, then penned it in by hand in my own original font.
- Details were added: crosshatching, floating ovals, shading and extra color with watercolor pencils, alterations to the birds, etc.
- Voila! Another page.
Want to see what the other members of the group are doing? Check the Bird a Week Flickr group or investigate the blog hop here: