Piles of cast components are rather exciting in and of themselves.
|cast leaf components, 3 sizes|
Suddenly the entire idea of breaking designs into components seems so obvious. Why didn't I do this before? Not only did I mold leaves in three sizes, but I cast my simple rock rose in three sizes as well.
|cast rock rose components, 3 sizes|
To work with the drawings I made before, I must combine these components in various ways.
|leaf design #9|
For many of the designs I need "stems," so I formed two different lengths in sterling clay, fired, finished, and molded those as well, again allowing for extra shrinkage.
|long and short stem models, after molding|
Once I have quantities of these components to work with, the fun begins. I dump them out on my work surface and start experimenting with different arrangements.
|experimenting with designs from components|
When I find something I like, the components are permanently combined. Because all the components were cast in Argentium sterling, I simply lay them out as desired, with good overlap, and fuse them together.
|first fused design from cast Argentium components|